JUUL: WHAT IS ALL THE FUSS ABOUT?
Posted at 5:00 • 09 Dec • Nicotine
WHAT ARE NIC SALTS (AND WHY AM I PICTURING TEQUILA, LIME, SALT?)
Because you aren't a million miles off. Whether you add salt to your fish and chips or brave the "lime salt lick" before a tequila shot, you're using salt for one reason- enhancing the experience. For the most part, e-cig users turn to advanced hardware to enhance their vaping experience. FYI, as the people who sell the stuff, that's just as cool our end. About a week ago, a customer actually came back into our Old Street branch to physically crush us with hugs after the SMOK Alien "changed his life". (That was before he literally lost his nut finding out that our newest Peckham store is a 7-minute walk from his flat).
If mods are the "hardware", you could consider e-liquids the "software". Since nic salts are basically the optional software upgrade that can't be ignored, we'll be dedicating this post to them.
NICOTINE SALT- YOUR FIX "ON DEMAND"
Nicotine salt (or nic salt) is a type of naturally forming nicotine found in leaf tobacco. In a stupidly simple but chemically complex way, nic salt e-liquids are the most efficient way to deliver nicotine to your body.
WHY SHOULD I TRY NIC SALTS? (I'M PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH REGULAR E-LIQUIDS)
A huge amount of advancement in vaping is geared towards the activity itself. Want beastly clouds or sensational flavour? Learn everything you need to know about cloud (or flavour) chasing here. Tired of hearing people rattle on about Sub-Ohm vaping while you stand there with no clue? Get clued up. From the summer juices that made our office physically giddy to the new wave of CBD liquids, the hashtags are focusing on one of two things- better gear or better juice. Until nic salts, nothing was really focusing on the nicotine itself.
NIC SALTS VS. FREEBASE NICOTINE
Freebase nicotine is the conventional type. Nic salts can be thought of as the "crystal salts" version of nicotine. They still come in PG/VG bases. Delivering nicotine faster than conventional e-liquids, nic salts are one of the most effective forms of e-liquid for quitting smokers- plus, the rush is way stronger. Since a lot of nic salt e-liquids are designed to align with increasingly popular pod kits, having a nic salt-compatible device is a huge pro. Due to the reduced pH thanks to the addition of benzoic acid, the juice itself is also much smoother.
BENEFITS OF NIC SALTS INCLUDE:
- Better, faster nicotine fixes that deliver in 6-7 seconds. Why? Freebase nicotine takes longer for the satisfaction feeling- it's absorbed by the body in a build-up way. If anyone can get crankier faster than a six week-old baby, it's a quitting smoker craving their hit. Nic salts allow the nicotine to enter the bloodstream at a similar speed to cigarettes- exactly what quitters are looking to replicate. Switch to nic salts and your nicotine is basically on demand. PAX labs proved it.
- It's technically cheaper. While nic salts themselves are a touch pricier, your e-cigarette will deliver nicotine more efficiently. That technically translates to vaping less, consuming less juice, and hey presto, more cash in the bank.
- Way better shelf life. Since nic salts are more chemically stable than conventional e-liquids, they store much better and longer. The quality of the nicotine never fades.
- Smooth, mild throat hit. It's unlikely you give two squats about pH levels. Honestly, you don't need to. The scientists did the work. They figured out that nic salts without the added food-grade benzoic acid actually absorb less efficiently. Chuck in the acid (little to no evidence to suggest it isn't safe) and the nicotine chemically "degrades" into the opposite word- an upgrade. Smooth hits, instant nic rush. Win-win.
CAN I SUB-OHM VAPE NIC SALTS?
Not advised. Nic salts aren't recommended for high-powered Sub-Ohm devices because of their high nicotine concentration. Some lower strengths have been formulated and geared towards RDA or Sub-Ohm vapers. For the most commonly found strengths though, stay away from the Sub-Ohm and enjoy the devices that are perfect for nic salts. For a rule of thumb, remember this.
“Any equipment designed for MTL (mouth to lung) vaping and above 1.0 Ohm resistance is good for nic salts. MTL vaping is what you want to be doing if you're quitting smoking”
NICOTINE ALTERNATIVE THAT AREN'T SMOKING
The goodies. Nic salts became huge news once e-liquid giant, Element decided to release an entire nic salt range. The NS20 was the result. Element aren't alone in offering top-of-the-range nic salts, though. To help you choose:
- Element NS20- Not rocket science. The "NS" stands for nic salts and the "20" is the max nicotine strength as compliant with EU TPD laws. This stuff is serious quality. You're looking at a dominant VG to PG ratio of 65%, five strengths, 14 flavours, and a superior flavour range like the Watermelon Chill, Crema and Key Lime Cookie. The Tobacco 555 is hugely popular with smokersmaking the switch.
- Dinner Lady- This Brit favourite is already adored for dishing out old-skool dessert flavours like Cornflake Tart, Rice Pudding,Strawberry Custard, plus their epically named summer range (if Flip Flop Lychee or Sun Tan Mango isn't doing it for you, you need to get yourself checked out). Dinner Lady went with their most popular Lemon Tart for a nic salt variety. You still get the same sweet lemon curd and creamy meringue mash-up. Consider the buttery pastry base a vehicle for faster nic rushes.
- SMPO Pods-This is literally handing you top-performing convenience on a plate. The SMPO Pod Kit is a pop-in, use, throw out pod design that's itsy bitsy enough to fit in your pocket and powerful enough to deliver solid flavour, vapour and of course, nicotine. Doing away with all of the fiddling of bottles and tanks, you get an all-in-one experience from a reliable device with good battery life, great taste and a range of flavours from Classic Tobacco to the rich-bodied Full Fruit. For the lowdown on Pod kits, click here.
We're also giving My Vapery's Nic Nic Salt Nicotine Shot a special mention for being specially designed for Short Fill use (that's the larger bottle that saves you cash).
WHICH DEVICES ARE BEST FOR NIC SALTS?
- Aspire Gusto Mini- For many vapers, the Aspire Gusto Mini is a clear winner. You're looking at a closed pod system for throwaway convenience. Coils aren't something you have to deal with- just pop the e-liquid pod in and you're good to go. Two drip tips, smooth airflow, a powerful device that fits in your hand- oh, and that slick anodised sleeve. The most you have to wait is 5 minutes to let the wick absorb the e-liquid. Packs a real punch with insane nicotine hits- all for under £20. Takes Element NS20 pods.
- Aspire Breeze 2- This is one of Aspire's newer releases. Much like the Gusto, a simple fire button and draw mouthpiece deliver the cigalike experience. Users like the visible e-liquid tank which lights up during use, so you can see how much is left. You'll need to install your own coils, but this device has huge pros. It's got great battery life, a reliable build and a great stealth feel.
- SMPO Pod Kit- We covered this one earlier, but oh my. What a beauty. Ultra-compact, ultra-reliable, ultra-powerful and all the kickass magnetic fittings in the world make this pod kit as simple as it is #wow worthy. Pre-filled cartridges are the kind where "walking to the bin" is an effort. Comes with its own SMPO nic salt pods.
- Eleaf iCare 2- Yes, when the first version is so popular, you get to bring out a 2.0 The Eleaf iCare 2 Starter Kit is a compact, beginner-friendly device that comes with a top-fill tank, a simple fire button and a surprisingly intuitive four-colour LED light system. This is a great MTL device that comes with a pre-installed tank and a 1.3 Ohm coil- perfect for higher strength nicotine.
- Suorin Air/Drop- Since you'll get an equally reliable and satisfactory experience from either the Suorin Air or Suorin Drop, it's about the little customisations when it comes to picking between the two. The Air is rectangular, super-slim and made by the same people who knocked out the iPhone. Think credit card-like. It's a portable, MTL kit that's only overshadowed by the Drop for people who rank teardrop design highly. The Drop is somewhat iconic with its futuristic silhouette. If carrying a powerful water drop in your hand (and no more than 45 minutes charging time) sounds good, check it out.
- Joytech Exceed Edge- This racing car-inspired vape pen has state-of-the-art curves that are streamlined, sleek and perfect for the on-the-go vaper wanting their fix in any situation. The EX head is optimised for nic salts, and the refillable pods do away with the hassle of e-liquid bottles. Special props for being designed to accommodate nic salts and high nicotine e-liquids.
For instant nicotine fixes and smoother e-liquids, nic salts are the way to go.
For more on vaping in general, or to try out new mods or e-liquids, pop into any of our stores, get in touch, or hit us up on Twitter, Facebook or IG. We're always reviewing the latest drop, but our experts have been handing out advice from day one. We're here 7 days a week. Since we're doing the salt thing the nic way, we're not nursing tequila hangovers (handy for actually being around for you).
www.vapesuperstore.co.uk contains general information about vaping and vapour products. The information provided is not medical advice, and should not be relied upon unless explicity cited. We do not make any warranties surrounding the health benefits, reliability and accuracy of written copy across all pages on our website, including blog content and content posted on social media.
Share this post
- Tags: Nicotine