Nicotine salt (or nic salt) is a type of naturally forming nicotine found in leaf tobacco. In a stupidly simple but chemically complex way, nic salt e-liquids are the most efficient way to deliver nicotine to your body.A large number of vapers say they find that nic salts deliver a more satisfying experience, saying e-liquid with nicotine salt is easier to inhale thanks to its bio-compatibility. Users have cited throat hits of reduced harshness and are able to use more powerful liquids, taking in more nicotine for each vape. Many users of lower-powered devices have started to embrace nic salts.
WHY SHOULD I TRY NIC SALTS?
A huge amount of advancement in vaping is geared towards the activity itself. Want beastly clouds or sensational flavour? Learn everything you need to know about cloud (or flavour) chasing here. Tired of hearing people rattle on about Sub-Ohm vaping while you stand there with no clue? Get clued up. From the summer juices that made our office physically giddy to the new wave of CBD liquids, the hashtags are focusing on one of two things- better gear or better juice. Until nic salts, nothing was really focusing on the nicotine itself.
NIC SALTS VERSUS FREEBASE NICOTINE
Conventional nicotine is also known as "freebase" nicotine. Nic salt is the kind of nicotine found in leaves of tobacco. The salts contain not only nicotine but various other organic components. Nic salt is a compound where the nicotine is bonded to other chemicals. This is not the case with freebase nicotine. Studies have been carried out which suggest nic salts were more efficient in delivering nicotine to users, including an experiment conducted by PAX Labs. The addition of benzoic acid to nic salts reduces the pH, which means vaping isn't as harsh. Many experiments have taken place with the aim of improving the efficiency of nic salts.
BENEFITS OF NIC SALTS
- Better, faster nicotine fixes that deliver in 6-7 seconds. Why? Freebase nicotine takes longer for the satisfaction feeling- it's absorbed by the body in a build-up way. If anyone can get crankier faster than a six week-old baby, it's a quitting smoker craving their hit. Nic salts allow the nicotine to enter the bloodstream at a similar speed to cigarettes- exactly what quitters are looking to replicate. Switch to nic salts and your nicotine is basically on demand. PAX labs proved it.
- It's technically cheaper.While nic salts themselves are a touch pricier, your e-cigarette will deliver nicotine more efficiently. That technically translates to vaping less, consuming less juice, and hey presto, more cash in the bank.
- Way better shelf life.Since nic salts are more chemically stable than conventional e-liquids, they store much better and longer. The quality of the nicotine never fades.
- Smooth, mild throat hit.It's unlikely you give two squats about pH levels. Honestly, you don't need to. The scientists did the work. They figured out that nic salts without the added food-grade benzoic acid actually absorb less efficiently. Chuck in the acid (little to no evidence to suggest it isn't safe) and the nicotine chemically "degrades" into the opposite word- an upgrade. Smooth hits, instant nic rush. Win-win.
NIC SALTS FOR EX-SMOKERS
Nic salts have also proved beneficial for new vapers who have just quit smoking. They enable them to absorb more nicotine without being forced to use particularly sophisticated equipment. Some new vapers find the throat hit provided by freebase nicotine harsh, whereas nicotine salts offer a smoother draw. If you are running a high-power device, you can purchase nic salt juice with a lower level of nicotine to avoid an unpleasantly strong hit. The USA was one of the first markets to see the growth of nic salts, and they are now starting to gain increased exposure in the UK.
The juice is designed to mirror the hit that you would achieve from a cigarette. The salts are absorbed into the bloodstream much faster, delivering an effect within around 6-7 seconds. They have also helped many vapers to reduce their liquid consumption thanks to the more powerful nicotine hit on offer. The first nic salts are said to have hit the market in summer 2015 when they were first introduced by PAX. The company's Juul device featured pods containing nic salts, though this device is now unavailable in the European Union as it contained nic salt content of 50mg, 30mg above current TDP restrictions.
Nonetheless, a wide range of nicotine salt e-liquids can be purchased in the UK and across the EU. There is a 20mg limit imposed due to TPD requirements, whilst more and more e-juice manufacturers are including nic salts in their catalogues.
The cost of these juices tends to be slightly higher than conventional liquids, though you should find that you use much lower levels thanks to the greater potency of nicotine. It seems certain that the range of nic salts available in the UK will continue to expand as more vapers learn about their uses.
IS IT SAFE TO USE NIC-SALTS
If you have any concerns about the safety of nicotine salts, read on. In all likelihood, nic salts are probably no more dangerous than inhaling freebase nicotine. There have been some concerns about the benzoic acid used to power nic salts as there has been little conclusive research carried out on its effects on humans. Some suggest that the reduced level of vapour inhaled when nic salts are used could make nic salt juices safer than their more commonly-used counterparts, and certainly safer than smoking cigarettes.
CAN I SUB-OHM VAPE NIC SALTS?
Not advised. Nic salts aren't recommended for high-powered Sub-Ohm devices because of their high nicotine concentration. Some lower strengths have been formulated and geared towards RDA or Sub-Ohm vapers. For the most commonly found strengths though, stay away from the Sub-Ohm and enjoy the vapes that are perfect for nic salts. For a rule of thumb, remember this.
“Any equipment designed for MTL (mouth to lung) vaping and above 1.0 Ohm resistance is good for nic salts. MTL vaping is what you want to be doing if you're quitting smoking”
NIC SALTS FROM VAPE SUPERSTORE
One product currently available for those wishing to experiment with nic salts is the salt based nicotine shot from the ever-popular Elements E-Liquids. This 20mg booster shot is designed for use with shortfill e-liquids to enhance nicotine levels and can create a 60ml e-liquid with a 3.3mg base when added to a shortfill bottle of 50ml nicotine-free juice.
- Element NS20- Not rocket science. The "NS" stands for nic salts and the "20" is the max nicotine strength as compliant with EU TPD laws. This stuff is serious quality. You're looking at a dominant VG to PG ratio of 65%, five strengths, 14 flavours, and a superior flavour range like the Watermelon Chill, Crema and Key Lime Cookie. The Tobacco 555 is hugely popular with smokersmaking the switch.
- Dinner Lady-This Brit favourite is already adored for dishing out old-skool dessert flavours like Cornflake Tart, Rice Pudding,Strawberry Custard, plus their epically named summer range (if Flip Flop Lychee or Sun Tan Mango isn't doing it for you, you need to get yourself checked out). Dinner Lady went with their most popular Lemon Tart for a nic salt variety. You still get the same sweet lemon curd and creamy meringue mash-up. Consider the buttery pastry base a vehicle for faster nic rushes.
- Nasty Juice-Made in Malaysia but loved worldwide, Nasty Juice have been on our shelves since day one and they’re still one of our top sellers. With a selection of flavours spanning everything from your more traditional tobaccos with dessert inspired undertones (like Silver Blend with its warming and sweet vanilla) to more fruity offerings. Some of their best sellers now available as a nic salt include Slow Blow, the pineapple, lime and soda one as well as Wicked Haze which is a part of their Low Mint range, bringing together tangy blackcurrant, fizzy lemonade and that signature minty edge. Originally coming in a shortfill format for Sub Ohm vapers, Nasty Juice turned their hand to nic salts and delivered with stunning results.
We're also giving My Vapery's Nic Nic Salt Nicotine Shot a special mention for being specially designed for shortfill use (that's the larger bottle that saves you cash).
WHICH DEVICES ARE BEST FOR NIC SALTS?
1 - Uwell Caliburn G
An update on the original, Uwell’s Caliburn G is a super slim and easy to use kit. It fires at a fixed wattage meaning you don’t need to adjust any settings and also enables you to activate the battery either by long pressing the button or with manual draw activation - meaning you just inhale to vape. Perfect for emulating that cigarette like draw, the Caliburn G is a pocket friendly little kit to take on the go with you. The pod can hold 2ml of e-liquid and comes with coils that are perfect for using with nic salts too. They’re replaceable meaning there’s less waste and you can switch them out easily without wasting any e-liquid. We recommend the 1.0ohm to use with your nic salts for a restricted inhale, full flavour and a stronger hit.
2 - Smok Novo 4
You know it’s a good kit when they’ve made four versions of it and you really can’t go wrong with the Novo 4 from SMOK when you’re using nic salts. Giving you a little more control over your settings, the Novo 4 can fire between 5 and 25 watts meaning you can use it with nic salts when you’re starting out as well as experiment with other e-liquids later on if you fancy to. Aside from that, the chipset also comes built in with plenty of safety features so you can use it with confidence as well as coming with manual draw activation and adjustable airflow, allowing you to refine how loose or tight you want it to be. The Novo 4 also features replaceable coils, coming with two 0.8ohm coils included. They’re ideal for that restricted inhale and when you close the airflow down they work beautifully with nic salts.
3 - Vaporesso Luxe Q
A simple and beautifully machined one from Vaporesso, the Luxe Q really was made just for you mouth to lung vapers. Vaporesso has a reputation for high quality with superior flavour and this kit is no exception. It has an impressive 1000mAh battery to give you a full day of vaping and will fire at a fixed output meaning all you need to focus on is keeping the pod filled up. The pods themselves features SSS leakproof technology to keep your hands and pockets clean, just click the top cap off the pod and pour in your e-liquid through the fill port. You’ll get coils two in the kit, both of which work wonderfully with nic salts - a 0.8ohm and a 1.2ohm. We especially recommend the 1.2ohm option with nic salts. Pop that one in, close your airflow down on the side of the vape and enjoy that high nic strength hit with a restricted, cigarette like draw.
4 - Voopoo Vinci
An easy to use one from VooPoo, the Vinci is an ideal option for those of you who’ve never used a vape before. It’s a super easy kit to set up - just fill your pod with e-liquid, allow it to settle and soak into the coil for a few minutes and then inhale to vape. There are no buttons to worry about either, you just inhale on the mouthpiece to vape. Powered by VooPoo’s Gene AI chipset it’s super safe to use and will fire at a maximum output of 15 watts which will drop as your battery drains. The pods themselves can hold 2ml of e-liquid and come pre-fitted with a 0.8ohm coil which will give you a moderate level of vapour and that “just right” nicotine hit when paired with your nic salt of choice. Once you notice a drop in flavour (or you nic hit doesn’t feel as strong) you just pop in a fresh pod and you’re good to go.
5 - Smok Acro
Finally, another one from SMOK, the Acro pod kit has refillable pods with a pre-fitted coil and a generous 1000mAh battery that enables you to control your wattage. The screen also shows all your important details (including how much battery you’ve got left) and the Type-C cable included with the kit helps you get back to full power even faster. You can also choose whether you want to vape with button activation or manual draw by just inhaling on the mouthpiece to vape. We love this one for using with nic salts because of the 0.8ohm coil resistance and the ability to drop the wattage lower if you want a less cloudy vape, or boost it up a little for a stronger hit with a bit more vapour. All that plus easy to refill pods that don’t require you to change the coil make the Acro a fuss free and satisfying vape.
FIND OUT MORE TODAY
At Vape Superstore, we are seeing more and more popular e-liquids being given the nicotine salt treatment. We can come to your assistance at any point if you are interested in using nic salts and need help with selecting the right products for your needs, so don't hesitate to get in touch if you do need to find out more, whether you're an experienced vaper or new to the world of vaping. Check out our top 10 nic salt e-liquids here.
www.vapesuperstore.co.uk contains general information about vaping and vapour products. The information provided is not medical advice, and should not be relied upon unless explicity cited. We do not make any warranties surrounding the health benefits, reliability and accuracy of written copy across all pages on our website, including blog content and content posted on social media.